Summer Heat Arrives - Unitil Offers Energy Saving Options
Hampton, NH – June 26, 2003: Unitil Corporation (AMEX:UTL) recognizes the need for its customers to cut costs and conserve energy, particularly as the summer season heats up. ISO New England – the operator of the region’s bulk power system and wholesale power exchange – forecasts that the projected energy supply should be sufficient to meet regional demand this summer, but Unitil believes it is important to provide its customers with the means to conserve energy, lower costs, and increase efficiency.
Unitil offers the following simple, practical solutions to reduce a home’s energy use without sacrificing comfort:
- Consider window fans, ceiling fans, or whole-house fans, which use much less power, as an alternative to air conditioners.
- Close curtains and draw shades or blinds on the sunny side of your home during the day. When the temperatures cool after sundown, open shades and windows for cross-ventilation.
- If you’re buying a new air-conditioning system, make sure it’s efficient. Central systems are graded by Seasonal Energy Efficiency Ratio (SEER) and window units by Energy Efficiency Ratio (EER). The higher the number, the better. Look for 11.0 or higher.
- Set air conditioners to the highest comfortable setting during the day. For every two degrees you raise your central air conditioning setting, you’ll reduce your cooling costs about 5 percent.
- Air conditioners work to remove humidity so save moisture-making jobs like dishwashing, laundry, and bathing for early mornings or nighttime when it’s cooler.
- Shade the outdoor air conditioning unit if possible. A unit in the sun will use up to 5 percent more energy than one in the shade.
- Attics should be properly vented to reduce heat build-up from the sun.
- ENERGY STAR® Appliance Program offers rebates towards the purchase of select ENERGYSTAR® - rated appliances. Watch your local papers for special promotions in your area.
- ENERGYSTAR® Lighting Program provides rebates towards the purchase of ENERGYSTAR® lighting products.
- Home Energy Solutions / Services Program offers qualifying customers (including those with electrically heated homes and/or average daily electric usage over 30 kWh) products and services to improve their home's energy efficiency and comfort and reduce energy bills. The customer co-payment will be waived for customers meeting program income guidelines.
Unitil is a public utility holding company with subsidiaries providing electric service in New Hampshire, electric and gas service in Massachusetts and energy services throughout the Northeast. Additional information is available at www.unitil.com. Unitil’s subsidiaries include Unitil Energy Systems, Inc., Fitchburg Gas and Electric Light Company, Unitil Power Corp., Unitil Realty Corp., Unitil Service Corp. and its unregulated business unit Unitil Resources, Inc. Usource L.L.C. is a subsidiary of Unitil Resources, Inc. The Usource product line of Internet-based energy brokering and related products and services is available at www.usourceonline.com.
Contact: Stephanye Schuyler